The Second Annual Freedom Conference
August 27-28, 2010
The Steamboat Grand
Steamboat Springs, Colorado
The 2010 Freedom Conference was a tremendous success!
Recap of the Events and Speaker Comments:
Friday, August 27, 2010
Kick-off luncheon with Ginni Thomas of Liberty Central
“Obama and National Security: Are We Safer Yet?” with Peter Brookes, Cliff May, & Claudia Rosett
Christopher Horner, Competitive Enterprise Institute
Political humor with Grover Norquist
Tony Blankley, moderator for all events
VIP Reception and Dinner with Karl Rove
Saturday, August 28, 2010Breakfast keynote – Yaron Brook, President of the Ayn Rand Institute
U-turn to Serfdom with Dan Mitchell, J. French Hill, & Grover Norquist
Year of the Conservative Woman with Kellyanne Conway
Can America Survive Healthcare Reform? with Robert Goldberg, Michael Tanner & Kelly Victory, MD
American Soldier with Brian Ivers, United States Marine
Keynote Luncheon with Jason Mattera, Editor of Human Events (CNN coverage)
BONUS EVENT: Screening of “33 Minutes” – Heritage Foundation
Coyote Gold Margarita Party and Conference wrap-up
Speakers Bios and Comments:
- Karl Rove, served as Senior Advisor to President George W. Bush from 2000–2007 and Deputy Chief of Staff from 2004–2007. At the White House he oversaw the Offices of Strategic Initiatives, Political Affairs, Public Liaison, and Intergovernmental Affairs and was Deputy Chief of Staff for Policy, coordinating the White House policy-making process. Before Karl became known as “The Architect” of President Bush’s 2000 and 2004 campaigns, he was president of Karl Rove + Company, an Austin-based public affairs firm that worked for Republican candidates, non-partisan causes, and non-profit groups.
- Tony Blankley, co-host of the Left, Right and Center radio program, (distributed to public radio station nationwide by public radio station KCRW-Santa Monica) columnist, executive vice president of Edelman Worldwide public relations, television political commentator, and former GOP spokesman.
- Virginia “Ginni” Thomas, a new social entrepreneur and the Founder of Liberty Central, Inc.
- Sharron Angle, Candidate for U.S. Senate from Nevada.
- Yaron Brook, President and Executive Director of the Ayn Rand Institute. He is a regular contributor to Forbes.com and a contributing editor of The Objective Standard.
- Dan Mitchell, Senior Fellow, The Cato Institute. “It was great to be among so many people who were enthusiastic about the fight to restore economic freedom and individual liberty in America. I hope to be back again next year.” -Dan Mitchell
- Peter Brookes, Senior Fellow for National Security Affairs and the Chung-Ju Yung Fellow for Policy Studies with the Heritage Foundation. “Who would have thought that one of the best places for the public to hear national-level discussions about today s policy challenges would be a small, cowboy-ski town nestled in the Rockies?” -Peter Brookes
- Jason Mattera, is a New York Times bestselling author and at 26, the youngest editor of a national periodical, Human Events. “The Steamboat Institute is doing exciting work. With their emergence on the scene, I trust that Colorado will rebound from liberal policies. The good folks at Steamboat will ensure that their state reflects the values of limited government, personal responsibility, and free enterprise — the bedrocks of American greatness.” – Jason Mattera
- Christopher Horner, serves as a Senior Fellow at the Competitive Enterprise Institute. a public interest organization dedicated to advancing limited government, free enterprise, and individual liberty. “The Steamboat Institute is an impressive model of motivated, grassroots interest to create a forum and platform for education, ideas and arguments to fight back against the movement that seeks to finally end the America our founders envisioned, and which we have come to know and love.” – Christopher Horner
- Kellyanne Conway, is Founder and President of the polling company™, inc./WomanTrend a privately-held, woman-owned corporation founded in 1995. “The Steamboat Institute is THE place for free market thinkers and doers to gather at the end of summer. Hundreds of men and women who love their country but fear their government enjoyed an opportunity to share ideas and strategize. If they ran Washington, things would look differently!” – Kellyanne Conway
- Grover Norquist, is president of Americans for Tax Reform (ATR), a coalition of taxpayer groups, individuals and businesses opposed to higher taxes at both the federal, state and local levels.
- Robert Goldberg, PhD, is co-founder and vice president of the Center for Medicine in the Public Interest. (CMPI) “The Steamboat Institute’s 2nd Annual Freedom Conference is a vibrant and unique forum for sharing ideas about promoting public policy based on the principles of liberty and democratic capitalism. It provides concerned citizens with a valuable opportunity to speak American truths to a Washington establishment that has often lost its way. ” – Robert Goldberg
- Michael D. Tanner, CATO Institute, heads research into a variety of domestic policies with a particular emphasis on health care reform, social welfare policy, and Social Security. “The people attending the Freedom Conference were among the most interesting and engaged of any speaking venue that I’ve participated in. They made my attendance extremely worthwhile.” – Michael Tanner
- Dr. Kelly Victory, MD, is a residency-trained, board-certified trauma and emergency specialist with over 15 years of clinical experience. She served as the Chief Medical Officer for Whole Health Management for more than 5 years before leading their new Health & Wellness Division, Live Whole Health. “I have the opportunity to speak about Healthcare to a broad range of audiences and at a wide variety of venues; the Steamboat Institute provided a unique opportunity to engage in thoughtful dialogue on a number timely political and social topics, and allowed participants and speakers time for networking and meaningful discussion beyond the lecture hall.” – Kelly Victory
- Clifford May, is the President of the Foundation for Defense of Democracies, a policy institute focusing on terrorism created immediately following the 9/11 attacks on the United States. “The Steamboat Springs Institute combines an enlightening forum, a beautiful setting and wonderful, engaged, patriotic Americans – all in all, a great experience.” – Cliff May
- Claudia Rosett, Journalist in Residence of Foundation for Defense of Democracies and former member of theWall Street Journal Editorial Board. “What a pleasure to discover, in the mountains of Colorado, this forum of smart, determined people rallying to the defense of that most American of all causes: freedom.” -Claudia Rosett
- French Hill, Chairman and CEO of Delta Trust and Banking Corp. From May 1989 through January 1993, Mr. Hill was a senior economic policy official in the George H. W. Bush Administration on the staff of the White House and as deputy assistant secretary of the U.S. Treasury.
- Amy Oliver, The Independence Institute, Founder of Mothers Against Debt, radio talk show host. The Steamboat Institute is a limited government gem set in the beautiful Rocky Mountain West. ” The event is a proverbial “Conservapalooza” with many of the nation’s most prominent movers and shakers of the limited government movement. It was an honor to share a stage with the brilliant and beautiful Kellyanne Conway and the sharp-witted Tony Blankley. Conservatives owe a big thank you to Rick Akin and Jennifer Schubert-Akin and all the volunteers for hosting one of the best run, best attended conservative panel events that I have had the pleasure of experiencing.”–Amy Oliver
- Brian Ivers, Master Sergeant, United States Marine Corps
- Jennifer Schubert-Akin, Chairman, The Steamboat Institute